"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. What do workers gain from their toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. {He has made everything beautiful in its time.} He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it."
-Ecclesiastes 3:1-14

Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock

"...When you begin to ebb and flow in your attitude and your demeanor and your joy comes and goes, it is because you have attached yourself to another priority than the unchanging work of God and the unchanging presence of Christ. You have attached your joy to the changing circumstances of life which means your focus isn't on Him, your focus is on you. You can tell a true worshiper because they go through the circumstances of life with an unmitigated contentment and an unchanging joy." -John MacArthur



WOW. Does this quote convict me!!

I have been realizing lately what it is in life that I [prioritize]...because when these things are stripped away from me, I do not respond in a God-honoring manner.

I prioritize my family. When they move away, I don't like it. When seasons of life change for them, I don't like getting less time with them.

I prioritize my friends. Boy has it seemed boring and lonely and quiet this break! I am so used to coffee dates, and heart to hearts, and study sessions, and late night adventures, and hang-outs. When these are gone, life just seems to drag sometimes. I prioritize my friends so much, rather than being excited for them or understanding...I can get jealous and hurt when they are busy, dating, or otherwise occupied.

I prioritize fun. Often times, when I look ahead at my week, it's not going to church that excites me. Or time in God's Word. It's going shopping. Or going to the beach. Or going to go see a movie. Or watching the next episode of my favorite show. Or going out to eat.

I prioritize stability. I like knowing what classes I'm taking, where I will be working, where I will be living, what the next year of my life looks like, etc. I like to have all of my ducks lined up in a row.

Funny how the Lord has been weaning me off of these idols lately. My family is [changing]. My friends are [busy]. Break has been [slow and quiet]. And life just looks like one [big question mark] right now.

I do attach my joy to circumstances and I do focus on myself.

While there is nothing wrong with stability or fun, and while friends and family are GOOD things...I don't want to build my life on these. I don't want to build my life upon sand.

I want to build my life upon a Rock. Jesus Christ. The only One who never changes. The only One I was made for. The only One worthy of all of our focus and worship.

Desiring the unmitigated contentment and unchanging joy that comes from prioritizing the unchanging work of God and presence of Christ,
Mollie

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." -Matthew 7:24-25


"Jesus I'm learning how to live with open hands
All of these treasures that I hold will never satisfy my soul
Jesus I lay it at your throne with open hands...
To finally let go of my plans
These earthly kingdoms built of sand..."

No comments:

Post a Comment