"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. What do workers gain from their toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. {He has made everything beautiful in its time.} He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it."
-Ecclesiastes 3:1-14

Monday, January 2, 2012

There and Back Again...an IBEXer's Tale part 4

"A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same."
-Elbert Hubbard

32 students.
One semester.
Out of the country.
In close quarters.
Unable to get away from one another.

[IBEX Friendships].

The friendships that I made in IBEX are some of the richest I have ever enjoyed.

In normal life, we pick our friends based on personality compatibility. We naturally gravitate towards those who are in the same circle as us, share the same interests, and share the same temperaments.

But what makes IBEX friendships so great, is that you don't choose them. Rather they are chosen for you. The Lord knows exactly what individuals will challenge you, be there for you, and sanctify you...and sometimes these individuals aren't ones we ourselves would naturally pick to be our friends.

In IBEX, I became friends with nerds, introverts, extroverts, jocks, sophomores and seniors, people from different dorms, of different majors, from different backgrounds, with different passions and talents, strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes we had nothing in common and yet EVERYTHING in common: Jesus Christ.

There is a depth of friendship that is only achieved after seeing each other in every context, at your best and your worst. [No make-up and hideous beards]. After seeing every foible and quirk. [Moodiness]. After dealing up-close with someone else's sin...and having to forgive them. [Confrontation]. After having to learn to communicate your different preferences and convictions so as to live with one another in unity. [Conservative vs. more Christian Liberty].

Hungry, tired, lonely, angry, offended, sweaty, bored, frustrated, hurt, confused...and a HOST of other emotions...are what we experienced day in and day out. And after three months together, going to class, being on field trips, studying together, eating together, living together, traveling together, going to church together, fellowshiping together, having ridiculous adventures together, riding on a bus together, etc. we got to know each other pretty well and we learned when somebody was in a funk, and whether they needed to be left alone, needed a shoulder to cry on, needed a hug and a prayer, or just simply needed a Magnum bar.

In Israel, all guises were stripped away...and the depth of friendship that normally takes years to establish we established in 3 months.

My fellow IBEXers now know what I mean when I say a certain phrase (they pointed out things about myself that I didn't even realize!), know all of my idiosyncrasies and pet peeves, know my sin, know that I am hopelessly addicted to coffee, that I talk a lot, that I am a girly girl, that I run funny (sigh), that I can't take a prank without retaliation, that I am the biggest klutz ever, have been there for me through a break-up, know that they should probably double check on me so that I don't miss the bus in the morning, etc.

I miss everybody terribly...scattered as we are in Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, Alaska, Texas, etc.

And can't wait until our reunion in three weeks at Truth and Life...bring on some Mafia and Mr. Commisioner and Ninja...some homemade pazookie...and let's go hunt for a shawarma place!!!!

I loved the sites we saw in Israel. I had the time of my life snorkeling, crawling through caves, walking through Hezekiah's Tunnel, hiking Masada, floating in the Dead Sea and spending the night under the stars at En Gedi, spending the night in a convent, stargazing on the Sea of Galilee, jumping in the chalk canyons, etc. I grew astronomically from the Bible knowledge I accrued.

But seeing the sites wouldn't have been the same without you. Snorkeling and crawling and walking and hiking and floating and jumping wouldn't have been the same without you. And I know I wouldn't have learned as much as I did, without you guys quizzing me...and more importantly encouraging me, confronting me, and challenging me.

As much as the Dead Sea, and Galilee, and Masada make IBEX, you guys made IBEX for me. I wasn't expecting it, going into IBEX...but I am so thankful for the quality of friendships I made in IBEX. Along with the things I learned, and the spiritual growth I experienced, when I look back upon IBEX, I thank the Lord for each of you.

Love you [second family]. Thanks for seeing me at my best and worst, for three months, and loving me just the same!

"Since there is nothing so well worth having as friends, never lose a chance to make them."
-Francesco Guicciardini

The song that always reminds me of our group :)


IBEX FALL 2011:
































No comments:

Post a Comment