"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. What do workers gain from their toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. {He has made everything beautiful in its time.} He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it."
-Ecclesiastes 3:1-14

Friday, January 6, 2012

There and Back Again...an IBEXer's Tale part 5

[We will stand as children of the promise
We will fix our eyes on Him our soul's reward
Till the race is finished and the work is done
We'll walk by faith and not by sight].
"By Faith," Keith and Kristyn Getty

While the amazing lyrics of this song, are meant to encapsulate the lives of the heroes of the faith mentioned in Hebrews 11...they remind me of the lives of my IBEX faculty too.

I can't imagine living thousands of miles away from your family. Always being viewed as "odd" by both Americans and Israelis. Giving up the finer things of the American life (free refills, restaurant options, getting bacon easily ;), etc.) Living on a moshav, a kibbutz with people of various views and beliefs. Pouring your life into 30-40 random students every semester, only to see them go away...and give rise to a new crop of students (thus very different then the roles of "normal" teachers...getting attached quicker, but saying goodbye sooner). Having students in your home 24/7- giving them medical care, advice, food, etc. Constantly giving, giving, giving!! (with often very little "getting back" in return). Living in a country that is hostile to everything you believe and stand for [Christ & Christianity].

But that is what my IBEX professors do. What I just described, is their day-in, day-out lifestyles.

And crazier still, they will forever be remembered as [humble] in my mind. They don't think they are some bigshot Christians, because they sacrifice so much.

Rather, their lifestyles are simply a natural outpouring of their love and submission to Christ.

My Ancient Israel and Second Temple teacher, Benj Foreman

I will never forget all of Benj's practical applications. His challenge to not just start off strong (like some of Israel's kings) but to finish strong as well.

My Land and Bible professor, Bill Schlegel

I will never forget Bill having us lie down by a tomb, to illustrate that life is fleeting, and that one day we too will join the dead. I will never forget his reminder that America [and me!!!] are just like the nation of Israel in Deuteronomy 8- so prone to forget God due to the distractions of prosperity and abundance. [When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery].

Benj and Bill might have started off simply as my teachers in Fall 2011, but in the end, they had more of a role as mentors and spiritual fathers to me.


I learned just as much from them outside of the classroom, as I did inside of it.

To me, and to the hundreds of other students they have taught, discipled, challenged, and loved- they are heroes of the faith too.

I am forever grateful.

THANK YOU IBEX FACULTY!!!!!!

Two verses in Hebrews 11 that remind me of my teachers:

"People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them." vs. 14-16

I pray that I will always remember your examples, and live, longing for a better country-a heavenly one,
Mollie

">

No comments:

Post a Comment